Iran fisheries export hit $412 mln

Young Journalists Club | Latest news of Iran and world

News ID: 12000
Iran » Iran
Publish Date: 17:37 - 12 August 2017
Print
Send to firend
TEHRAN, August 12, YJC - Iran’s fisheries exports reached $412 million over the previous Iranian calendar year (ended March 20), said Head of Iran’s Fisheries Organization Hassan Salehi.

Iran fisheries export hit $412 mlnTEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - “We exported 1.100 million tons of fisheries products last year which means Iran has taken a big step in this field,” he said.

54 percent of the products have been received directly from seas, mainly Oman Sea and Indian Ocean and the remaining 46 percent have been aquaculture, he said.

Salehi heighted Iran’s good position in the Middle East in terms of fisheries, saying that Iran stands first in the world in trout farming and caviar.

"Over 400 processing centers are currently active in various fishery sectors like canning, powder production and packaging giving way to creation of 220,000 direct jobs," Salehi added.

He underlined that the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) had played an important role in the Iranian fishery industry, and said, "Russia restricted imports from Europe and the US in retaliation for their sanctions creating an invaluable market for Iranian products.”

The official reiterated that Iran still needs to work on establishing proper infrastructure for meeting demands of foreign buyers like Russia, and said, "Today Russians are putting a demand for 100,000 tons of Iranian fishery products, shrimp in particular."

The official further underscored that Iran has a low per capita consumption of about 10 kilograms while the global average stands at 20kg; "in a bid to boost people's health, the current per capita needs to rise by producing processed products".

 

Tags
Your Comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
* captcha: