TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) -The US and Russia have been informed that Israel will continue with its operations in Syria, says Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
"I have made it clear to our friends, first of all in Washington and also to our friends in Moscow, that Israel will act in Syria -- including in southern Syria -- according to our understanding and according to our security needs," said Netanyahu on Monday.
On Saturday, US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, affirmed joint efforts to stabilize the war-torn Arab country as the foreign-backed militancy dies down. Parts of the efforts are said to be the expansion of the July truce in the southwestern triangle bordering Israel and Jordan.
Back in April 2015, Netanyahu officially admitted for the first time that the regime's military had conducted strikes in the Syrian territory.
Israel seized the Golan Heights from Syria after the 1967 Six-Day War and later occupied it in a move that has never been recognized by the international community. The regime has built dozens of settlements in the area ever since and has used the region to carry out a number of military operations against the Syrian government.
Syria says the raids aim to boost the Takfiri militant groups fighting against the Syrian government forces. Earlier this month, Damascus called on the United Nations to take immediate action against Israel following its airstrike on a copper factory in the town of Hassia in Homs province.
On several occasions, the Syrian army has confiscated Israeli-made arms and military equipment from militants fighting pro-Damascus forces. Israel has also been providing medical treatment to the extremist militants wounded in Syria.
Takfiri groups such as Daesh and al-Nusra have never attacked Israel despite operating close to Syria’s borders with the occupied Palestinian territories over the past couple of years.
Source: Press Tv