Majid Takht-Ravanchi, the permanent ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations, made the remarks in a letter to the UN Security Council and to the UN Secretary-General early Sunday.
"Given that the stated objective of the United States is to completely ruin the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and to that end, its strategy is to create legal complication through presenting unilateral arbitrary interpretations and pseudo-legal arguments, the Islamic Republic of Iran trusts that the members of the Security Council will, once again, reject the United States' continued attempt to abuse the Security Council's process, thus undermining the authority and credibility of the Council and the United Nations," Takht-Ravanchi said in the letter.
The Iranian envoy also responded to the news on Twitter, saying that "UNSC member states continue to maintain US is NOT a JCPOA participant, so its claim of "snapback" is null & void."
"US is STILL in violation of JCPOA and Res 2231—swimming against int'l currents will only bring it more isolation," he tweeted.
US' illegal & false “deadline" has come and gone.— Majid Takht Ravanchi (@TakhtRavanchi) September 20, 2020
UNSC member states continue to maintain US is NOT a JCPOA participant, so its claim of “snapback" is null & void.
US is STILL in violation of JCPOA and Res 2231—swimming against int'l currents will only bring it more isolation.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Saturday night that the US has reimposed UN sanctions against Iran based on the snapback mechanism despite global rejection, even by its own allies.
Other countries have rejected the US' argument that it could reimpose the UN sanctions that had been lifted under the Iran nuclear deal as the Trump administration withdrew from the deal in 2018 and was not a party to the deal anymore. Therefore, they are not expected to recognize the snapback sanctions.