The Baq-e Ferdows, a historical palace in Tajrish, houses the Film Museum of Iran since 2002. The palace consists of the North Castle and the South Castle, of which the former was ruined.
The Film Museum of Iran was first established in Lalezar Street in 1995 and later moved to Baq-e Ferdows.
The museum’s collection includes items relating to film production, film screening and the experiences of cinema-going from earliest days of cinema to present.
A collection of artifacts, memorabilia and equipment that preserves the history and grandeur of cinema are kept at the museum.
The museum has several halls, each of them is dedicated to a special feature of Iranian cinema. The museum’s Blue Hall is dedicated to the history of Iranian cinema.
The Iranian contemporary cinema is introduced at the White Hall of the Museum. The Hall of Honor features the international presence of the Iranian cinema.
The museum displays over 40,000 stills from Iranian movies as well as 2500 posters, 8000 books and 3000 cinematic documents.
The visitors can enjoy watching the first sound film in the Persian language "Lor Girl” (1934) on wooden cinema seats in one of the museum’s halls.
Walking in a dark corridor, the visitor finds himself on the red carpet surrounded by the cardboard cutout of cinematic figures and will be surprised by multiple flashes of cameras and the outburst of applause.
The museum also dedicated a small room to the Iranian rock singer and celebrated musician Farhad Mehrad (1944 - 2002), furnished with his memorabilia. * Baq-e Ferdows
The Baq-e Ferdows complex was originally designed by Mohammad Shah’s prime minister Haj Mirza Aqasi (1834 – 1848) during Qajar era. The Qajar king and his family used the complex as a summer residence. After the death of Mohammad Shah Qajar in September 1848, the complex became desolated in subsequent years.
During the reign of the Nasser ad-Din Shah (1848–1896), the ownership of the complex was transferred to Dust-Ali Khan Moayyerolmamalek, who refurbished the palaces and gave the name of Ferdows to the place.
Later, his son Dust-Mohammad Khan built a new edifice at the Southern edge of this structure, giving it the name of Rashk-e Behesht, meaning "Envy of the Paradise”.
In early 20th century, Mohammad Vali Khan Tonekaboni (1846-1926), also known as Sepahsalar-e Aazam, bought the palace. He was the leader of the Constitutionalist Revolutionary Forces from Iran’s northern provinces of Gilan and Mazandaran.
In 1937, Iran’s Ministry of Education housed a primary and a secondary school, named Shapour Schools, in the complex.
After the Islamic Revolution of 1979, the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance owned the complex and it houses Film Museum of Iran Since 2002.
The Film Museum of Iran can be found located at Baq-e Ferdows, Vali-e Asr St., Tajrish district.