TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - Regional police chief Olivier de Mazieres said the attack took place at Saint-Charles station at 1:45 pm (1145 GMT) on Sunday.
“Two victims have been stabbed to death,” de Mazieres said without elaborating. Later reports said the victims had been ordinary passersby.
Xavier Tarabeux, the local prosecutor, said that policemen at the scene of the attack had shot dead the knifeman.
Police in Marseille urged people to avoid Saint-Charles. There was no comment on the motives of the attacker although a source close to the investigation, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man had carried out the assault in a way similar to the operatives of Daesh, a Takfiri group that has killed dozens of people in attacks across France since early 2015.
French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on his Twitter page that he would immediately travel to the Mediterranean port city to examine the situation.
France is still on high alert as sporadic attack happens across the country by Daesh operatives or people expressing loyalty to the terrorist group. Some 7,000 troops have been deployed in cities and towns as part of the Operation Sentinelle to guard high-risk areas such as transport hubs, tourist sites and religious buildings.
A total of 239 people, excluding the two victims of the Sunday attack in Marseille, have been killed in attacks in France since January 2015. The deadliest of the all came in a matter of a night in November that year when terrorists brutalized the capital city of Paris, killing more than 120.