TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - In a statement after deadly explosions in Sri Lanka, Iran’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi vehemently condemned the terror attacks, particularly those targeting churches, and expressed sympathy with the Sri Lankan government, nation, and families of the victims.
“Today’s crime once again proved that the despicable phenomenon of terrorism has turned into a global problem, regardless of any border, race, nation and faith,” the spokesperson said.
Mousavi stressed the need for steely determination of all countries in the fight against terrorism by using all capacities and avoiding double standards.
A total of eight explosions in a single day hit luxury hotels and churches in Sri Lanka, killing at least 156 people and wounding over 400 as worshippers were attending Easter Sunday services.
The explosions, some of which officials said were suicide bomb attacks, led to an immediate clampdown, with the government declaring a curfew and blocking access to most major social media and messaging sites.
The first six explosions were all reported within a short period in the morning just as church services were starting.
Nine foreigners were among the dead, officials said.
Early in the afternoon, police reported there had been two more explosions.
There were no immediate claims of responsibility for the attacks in a country which was at war for decades with Tamil separatists until 2009 during which bomb blasts in the capital were common.
Christian groups say they have faced increasing intimidation from some extremist Buddhist monks in recent years.