TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) -Zarif made the remarks on Saturday, a day after US President Donald Trump said he was sending some 1500 troops to the region for "mostly protective" reasons.
The flip-flopping US president announced the decision only a day after he said he did not think additional American troops were needed in the Mideast.
"Increased US presence in our region is extremely dangerous and it threatens international peace and security, and this should be addressed," official IRNA news agency quoted Zarif as saying.
Tensions have escalated since the US sent an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers to the region in response to intelligence reports suggesting an imminent attack.
Iran has dismissed the alleged intelligence as fake and slammed the deployments as a psychological warfare.
“The Americans have made such allegations to justify their hostile policies and to raise tensions in the Persian Gulf," Zarif said.
Trump on Friday cited “threats from Iran” to justify the sale of billions of dollars’ worth of weapons to Saudi Arabia, the UAE and other countries without congressional approval.
Since taking office, the president has expressed an array of conflicting positions toward Iran, ranging from wanting dialogue with Tehran to threatening the country "the official end".
Zarif said on Friday the remarks reflected Trump’s real attitude toward the Iranian people, as opposed to his more usual claims that his administration cared about the Iranian people.
He also said, "Iran will see the end of Trump, but he will never see the end of Iran."
Trump unilaterally pulled the US out of a multilateral deal with Iran last year and reimposed sanctions on the country.
He has recently ratcheted up pressure on Iran by halting a waiver for other countries to import crude oil from the Islamic Republic.
Major General Gholamali Rashid said talking about security and stability in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz is not possible without considering the interests of the Iranian nation, including the export of oil.
‘Slightest stupidity’ will cost US its warships
Another Iranian military official called on the US to move cautiously in the Persian Gulf.
"America...is sending two warships to the region,” General Morteza Qorbani, an adviser to Iran's military command, told the Mizan news agency.
“If they commit the slightest stupidity, we will send these ships to the bottom of the sea along with their crew and planes using two missiles or two new secret weapons,” he said.
An assistant to Iran's army chief Brigadier General Hassan Seifi also called on "rational Americans and experienced US commanders" to rein in Washington's "radical elements".