TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - Zarif made the remarks in a tweet on Thursday, in reference to remarks made by the US military alleging that its spy drone has been shot down over the high seas.
Earlier on Thursday, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) announced that its air defense force had shot down an intruding American spy drone in the country’s southern coastal province of Hormozgan.
In a statement issued, the IRGC said the US-made Global Hawk surveillance drone was brought down by its Air Force near the Kouh-e Mobarak region — which sits in the central district of Jask County — after the aircraft violated Iranian airspace.
Hours after the incident, the US military confirmed that one of its drones had been shot, claiming that the incident took place in international airspace.
Navy Captain Bill Urban, a spokesman for the US military's Central Command, also alleged that it was "an unprovoked attack.”
“We'll take this new aggression to #UN & show that the US is lying about international waters,” Zarif said in his tweet.
The top Iranian diplomat added that the Islamic Republic does not seek war with any country, but Iranians “will zealously defend our skies, land & waters.”
He further noted that encroaching on Iran's territory was another aggressive step taken by the United States against Iran after it waged economic terrorism against Tehran and conducted covert action against it.
The Islamic Republic uses the term to refer to the United States’ re-enforcement of draconian sanctions against the Iranian nation. Washington restored the bans after leaving a multi-party nuclear agreement with Iran last May.
Tehran says Washington enlists the assistance of domestic and regional anti-Iran officials in the process of applying the measures against the country.