India orders Kashmir government staff back to work amid protests

Young journalists club

News ID: 43223
Asia » Asia
Publish Date: 17:35 - 19 August 2019
TEHRAN, August 19 - Indian officials have ordered government employees in Kashmir to return to duty and some schools have reopened after a tense weekend of protests in the territory.

India orders Kashmir government staff back to work amid protestsTEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - At least two dozen people were reportedly admitted to hospitals with pellet injuries after violent clashes on Saturday night, almost two weeks on from the Indian government’s abrupt decision to revoke Kashmir’s special status. Indian troops also used teargas, chilli grenades and pellets to disperse protesters. A 65-year-old man died after being admitted to the hospital with breathing difficulties, according to reports.

Jammu and Kashmir’s chief secretary had relaxed curfew rules on Friday, saying: “It is expected that over the next few days as the restrictions get eased, life in Jammu and Kashmir will become completely normal.”

Officials have downplayed the protests and maintain that the situation remains calm. Over the weekend, however, authorities reimposed heavy restrictions in some areas.

On Saturday and Sunday, small groups of teenage boys and young men blocked roads and forced commercial vehicles to turn around – a sign that restive and angry youth may not allow the administration to go ahead with its plan to open government offices.

The government of Jammu and Kashmir said 190 schools in the capital, Srinagar, would resume classes on Monday.

In Srinagar’s old city, a hub of protests, shops remained shut on Sunday, there was a heavy presence of armed paramilitary personnel, and few people walked the streets.

In the Chattabal neighborhood, residents told the Guardian that police had detained a man, apparently a fellow policeman, who had stood and watched as a group of young people clashed with officers on Sunday afternoon.

“The police came in armored vehicles from two sides and fired pellets and tear smoke shells. They then barged inside this house and detained a man,” a local resident said. “If that can be his fate, what will be our fate?” said one of the residents.

Source: The Guardian

Your Comment