Young Journalists Club | Latest news of Iran and world

News ID: 45975
Publish Date: 11:32 - 06 May 2020
Tehran 06 May_US President Donald Trump has denied any US government involvement in a recent marine incursion attempt into Venezuela.

Trump denies US role in mercenary incursion attempt into VenezuelaTrump made the comment after Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Caracas had arrested two US citizens working with an American military veteran who had claimed responsibility for the foiled operation by purported terrorist mercenaries into the South American country.

Before dawn on Sunday, a group of US-backed mercenaries tried to intrude into the northern state of La Guaira on boats, but Venezuelan authorities foiled the attack — which was launched from Colombia — killing eight of the armed men and arresting several others.

In a state television address on Monday, Maduro said authorities had detained 13 terrorists involved in the Sunday attack, including two Americans. The two US citizens were identified as Airan Berry and Luke Denman.

Maduro showed the US passports and other identification cards belonging to Berry and Denman, noting that they had been working with Jordan Goudreau, an American military veteran who leads the Florida-based security firm Silvercorp USA.

Goudreau later admitted that Berry and Denman were working with him in the operation.

Maduro said the Venezuelan authorities had been aware of the plot — which he said was coordinated with Washington and aimed to oust him — before its execution.

Separately on Tuesday, the Pentagon also denied any involvement in the “failed armed incursion.”

Tags
Your Comment
Name:
Email:
* Comment:
* captcha: