According to Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry and the Nagorno-Karabakh administration’s Foreign Ministry, fighting was continuing on several fronts on Tuesday morning.
The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry claimed on Tuesday that Armenian forces had suffered major losses and had been forced to retreat.
It said Azeri troops had destroyed an ammunition depot near Stepanakert, the capital of the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh, as well as rocket launchers and artillery belonging to the Armenian forces.
Sputnik reported that at least eight explosions rocked Stepanakert on Tuesday after air sirens were heard in the city.
Ethnic Armenian officials in Nagorno-Karabakh said on Tuesday that the total military death toll since the start of the fighting had risen to 244 as 21 more servicemen had been killed. It also said 19 civilians had been killed and 80 injured.
According to the prosecutor general’s office of Azerbaijan, 27 civilians have been killed and 141 injured. The country has not provided a military casualty toll.
Turkey calls for world support for Azerbaijan
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu paid a visit to Baku on Tuesday, and called on the world to stand by Azerbaijan in the Nagarono-Karabakh conflict.
“To put these two countries on equal footing means awarding the occupier. The world must be on the side of those who are right, namely on the side of Azerbaijan,” Cavusoglu said.
He also questioned the usefulness of a ceasefire in the breakaway region, saying, “There are calls for a ceasefire, but what will happen next?”
His visit came after Russia, the United States, and France on Monday urged an unconditional halt to the fighting.
Earlier on Tuesday, the Turkish Foreign Ministry said in a statement that Cavusolgu would meet Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev as well as his Azerbaijani counterpart Jeyhun Bayramov.
The Azeri presidency’s press service quoted Cavusoglu as saying, “Turkey and the Turkish people are ready to provide assistance to Azerbaijan in any area where it needs our help. This is what [Turkish] President [Recep Tayyip] Erdogan says, this is what we explain on our platforms.”
Armenian Foreign Ministry calls for truce
The Armenian Foreign Ministry on Tuesday stressed the need for an immediate ceasefire in the region.
“Armenia confirms the need to immediately cease fire… We stress once again that there is no alternative to a peaceful settlement of the conflict and to the peace process, and any attempt to settle it militarily will be resolutely curtailed,” the ministry said in a statement.