Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Mohsen Baharvand made the remarks in Tehran on Tuesday on the sidelines of a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart Yevheniy Yenin.
Yenin is in the Iranian capital at the head of a Ukrainian delegation for a second round of talks over the tragic incident that saw Iran’s air defenses mistakenly down the airliner while on high alert against potential American military adventurism.
A US drone attack had earlier assassinated senior Iranian anti-terror commander Lieutenant General Qassem Soleimani and his companions in Iraq. The atrocity had prompted a retaliatory attack by the Islamic Republic against the US’s airbases in the Arab country and an exceptional state of preparedness for the Islamic Republic’s defense forces.
At the time of the crash, the Ukrainian plane was carrying 167 passengers and nine crewmembers. Upon finding about the “human error” that had led to the plane’s downing, Iran wasted no time in acknowledging the mistake and has vowed to help fully administer justice in the case, punish the perpetrators, and compensate the survivors.
“Iran will soon release a report on the incident. Foreign parties will observe the report and provide their possible opinions,” Baharvand said.
Iran has done all in its power to ensure that the report is completely technical in nature and unbiased, he said.
The Iranian official said the talks with the Ukrainian delegation examined some outstanding questions from the first round of talks that took place in Kiev earlier this year over the tragedy.
He said the second round of negotiations focused more on the legal and judicial aspects of the matter, describing them as positive and saying the two sides share common opinions about the whole issue.