An Iranian soldier, who had gone missing since a terrorist attack on border guards in the Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province last week, has lost his life, an official says.
Deputy governor general of Iran’s North Khorasan Province told Iranian media Monday that Saeid Barati, wounded in the attack, had succumbed to his injuries.
The attackers took away the injured soldier after killing nine of his comrades near the Iranian town of Mirjaveh on April 26. The Jaish ul-Adl terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Mohammed-Taqi Irani, the deputy governor general, said the body of the slain soldier had been returned to Iran, adding he would be transferred to his hometown for burial.
Armed bandits, outlaws and drug dealers regularly attack police forces and border guards in southeastern Iran.
Last month, a commander with Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) was assassinated by two terrorists in Sistan-and-Baluchestan, Presstv reported.
Rouhollah Aali was gunned down on April 11 by "two Takfiri terrorists” while traveling to the Kurin District of Zahedan County on duty.
The assailants were subsequently killed by volunteer Basij forces.