The Eiffel Tower was evacuated today after an anonymous bomb threat was made to police - which officers later ruled to be a hoax.
Cops cordoned off the Parisian landmark around midday Wednesday after the threat was made, with armed officers seen blocking roads.
Roads leading to the landmark, in Paris's 7th arrondissement, were closed while people were told to avoid the area.
But around two hours later the cordon was lifted after bomb squads failed to find any explosives, leading police to conclude the call was a hoax.
A source said: ‘There was an evacuation and checks were carried out, and a safety perimeter was set up.
This was a routine precaution. The tower is now open as usual.’
Videos posted on social media showed police cars at the foot of the tower, with one poster tweeting: ‘Perimeter of Tour Eiffel cordoned off, police operation in progress.’
The so-called 'Iron Lady' welcomes more than six million visitors a year, and regularly receives calls concerning security – many of which turn out to be hoaxes.
In 2018, perimeter defenses including bullet proof glass screens were placed around the monument to protect against terror threats.
Terrorist groups which have threatened it in recent years include Al-Qaeda and Isis.
It has also been attacked by members of the anti-government Yellow Vest movement, which last year lit fires at the base of the tower, and destroyed perimeter fencing.
Source: Daily Mail